COVID-19 Update 04/28/2020
Dear patients and friends,
I hope this correspondence finds you all healthy and safe. We, at May Vision Center wanted to inform our patients and communities what we are doing to keep you and our staff safe upon your arrival to our clinics during this COVID 19 pandemic.
This has been a very trying time for all of us, including here at May Vision Center. We never officially closed because we are considered an essential business and a health care facility, however, we did stop seeing non emergent care on March 20. After evaluating the current situation in both the US and Wisconsin and determining risk of exposure to both you and our staff, I have elected to begin seeing non emergency patients at both May Vision Center locations in Waunakee and Reedsburg effective May 4. This decision was not determined without considerable thought on how we are going to keep your safety our #1 priority. The landscape has changed and what you remember the last time you entered our offices will be different. I sincerely apologize if you think we are going to extremes and some of this is unnecessary, but we won’t compromise what we feel is the best approach to limiting COVID 19. Here is a list of some of the changes we will be incorporating into our offices.
- Screening all patients prior to arriving at the office for any possible symptoms of COVID 19 and if suspected, will be rescheduled.
- All paperwork completed and insurance questions answered before arriving to limit the amount of time at the front desk.
- Please come unaccompanied to your appointment unless it is necessary to have a guardian or ambulatory help.
- Patients will wait in their cars until we are ready to take you back to the exam room.
- We have removed “high touch” items in the office like magazines, toys and the coffee maker.
- All pens touched by patients will be placed in container and disinfected at the end of the day.
- All staff and patients will be wearing face masks.
- Patients glasses will be cleaned by our Optic wash glasses cleaner upon entering the office which will kill any bacteria or viruses that may be attached.
- All patients will have their hands sprayed by a disinfectant upon entering the office.
- Staff will be disinfecting chairs, counters, tables, door handles, bathrooms, etc. several times/day..
- Exam equipment will be disinfected after every patient.
- Each frame a patient touches in our optical will be placed in a tray to be disinfected before they are placed on the frame board again.
- We will be limiting the amount of people in the optical and office at all times.
- Social distancing will be practiced to the best of our ability given our profession.
- We will continue to provide curbside pickup for contacts and glasses so you won’t need to enter the office.
We are following the guidelines set forth by the CDC, the state of WI, the Wisconsin Optometric Association and the American Optometric Association. We will continue to re-evaluate the COVID 19 crisis and will provide updates as they evolve. Please note, we have not had any staff or emergency patients that have tested positive for the COVID 19 virus.
If you have any of these symptoms, please call your health care professional.
Syptoms of COVID-19:
- Influenza like symptoms (fever, cough, chills)
- Fever 100.4 or above
- Shortness of breath
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- Loss of smell or taste
We really appreciate your patience during these trying times and are committed to your health and safety in our offices. If you have any questions prior to your appointment, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 608-849-3937 (Waunakee) or 608-524-4334 (Reedsburg). Please be safe and we will conquer this virus. We can’t wait to see you again soon!
A brief summary of our Optic Wash cleaning service as well as the products we use to keep our office and equipment sanitary and safe for our patients and staff.
We are thankful that we have to opticwash and that it might help reassure our patients and staff that we are doing our part to protect you the best we can.
The opticwash is equipped with 3 lines of defense to help kill this virus. We use what is known as a UVC light. This light is documented and proven in the health industry to kill bacteria and viruses, including COVID-19. We are not claiming our opticwash does this as we are still in the process of getting certified by the FDA to state such. The fact is our opticwash uses this light. The second line of defense is our filtration. Our filtration system was designed by a chemical engineer that holds several patents in his field. We use a charcoal block that is 5 micron. The human eye can only see 40 micron. The final filter is a “.2 absolute”. This filter will catch the smallest particle of bacteria which is .2 microns. The third is the water we use. Reverse osmosis water is processed water with 99% of its minerals removed. It then passes through a deionized filter that takes it to zero ppm. This causes the water to become corrosive and it attacks minerals and oils in an attempt to regain its PH balance. It absorbs them into the RO water and consequently they are removed by our filtration system once again.
So this is a little science behind how it works for those engineers out there. One of the reasons May Vision Center brought this into the office was for easy and quick cleaning. Our staff here really don’t need to do anything other than show you how it works. After that, you can do it yourself and come in a couple times a week to clean your glasses if you want. It also cleans jewelry!
The foundation of Pure&Clean solutions is a naturally occurring compound internally produced by humans and mammals. White blood cells use this compound (HOCl) to fight bacteria and inflammation after infection or trauma. The unmatched quality of Pure&Clean products is recognized by our HOCl industry-best 24-month shelf life on all of our FDA cleared products. These products are non-cytoxic and safe for use around the eyes, mucous membranes and sensitive areas.
Why does May Vision Center use this product?
Pure&Clean Disinfectant / Sanitizer products are hospital grade and EPA registered to kill all labeled pathogens including what many other products cannot kill: C. Diff, MRSA, Noro and Rhino virus as viricide, germicide, tuberculocide, bactericide, and anti-microbial. Although the effectiveness of Pure&Clean Disinfectant / Sanitizer products are impressive, the most important value to the health of our consumers is the move away from highly toxic and dangerous chemicals that are so prevalent today. Pure&Clean products are the next generation of healthcare solutions.